Thursday, October 9, 2008

19th Century Pocket Diarists Collection

Last night Holly and I went to this exhibit at Hoole Library in Tuscaloosa. The diaries were beautiful. The lecturer said that these pocketbooks were as common as checkbooks or wallets or planners are today, and that virtually nothing had been written on them as objects or artifacts. They usually contained an almanac, a diary, and a ledger, and often a pen loop. Many of the diaries were from the civil war. See more pictures here and here. The project began with the work of Larry Lou Foster, a graduate of U of Alabama's MFA Program in the Book Arts, to which I applied, was accepted, and deferred. I am thinking the timing might be better when Luke will be out of dental school and I might not need to commute. 

I also took a few pictures of my own and need to upload them.




l






1 comment:

Katie said...

these are so interesting! what a cool exhibit that must have been!