Saturday, April 4, 2009

Landscape

Holly, this post is for you! This is a landscape I'm working on to go over my friend Stephen's sofa. Abstracted a landscape photo that he took in Scotland. I really wanted to get Rothko-eque lumination, abstraction, and color fields. A lot of the lumination comes from the use of glazes.
Here's the original pic he took, the painting in the underpainting stages (lighting is not very good in those--sorry) and as it is now. ()That's our friends' cute baby Jacob in front.) I am going to go in and make some very minimal marks to indicate that those are sheep in the foreground.


I really want to do some more of this. Mom wants me to do a big one of the beach... very abstract and built up in glazes like this one is.












2 comments:

Stephen said...

It looks great. I can't wait until it is on my wall.

holly said...

i love it sr...now that i have a post i want a painting

i love the way you simplify and your use of the medium