Wednesday, February 11, 2009

New painting

Last weekend I started on a landscape painting for Stephen to go over his sofa. It's 42 x 50". On saturday I built the frame, stretched the canvas, and started the underpainting, and this weekend I'm planning on working on it some more. I really want to keep it simple, atmospheric, and pretty abstracted...broken down into color fields, almost like a Rothko or a Diebenkorn, although not abstracted to quite that degree.


Here's the original photo that Stephen took in Scotland.









And here is the canvas. (I'm doing a smaller one to keep for myself)










And here is a Diebenkorn. I love his Ocean Park paintings.






















And of course some pieces by Rothko, love of my life and art idol.


1 comment:

Cathy said...

Can't wait to see the final product!